Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday

This is an unpolished recollection of my day, before I forget the amazing moments. So it may be a bit more random than usual. And that's pretty random. When I get home, I'll try to add some polish and form. But here it is live for those of you who can't wait.

The morning began with Billy and Cindy Foote leading worship alongside Matt Papa. Wow and wow again. God's presence absolutely poured down on us all. By the end we were all on our knees. For the first time, I really thought about the lyrics, "And right now, in the good times and bad, you are on your throne, you are God alone. You're unchangeable, unshakeable, unstoppable...."

I really thought about God being king. He is on a throne. He is a king with a plan. He is not stoppable, no matter what my life circumstances may suggest. No matter what, his character is the same that it has always been. His plan WILL come to fruition.

Marcos Witt spoke from the story of the woman at the well. He talked about worship meaning, "to bow down." It is impossible to bow down if you are sitting on the throne. Who is on the throne in your life? There is not room for two butts on the same throne. You must get off and let God have the throne. Then if and when God sits on the throne, obedience becomes easy. God is in charge. Yes is always the right answer.

The first session I attended was "Mozart never played in a praise band." I left with some great tips about layering sounds, using a sustain and control pedal, using the cutoff filter, setting drum loops, and new, more simple chord voicings. I am anxious to get home and play with my keyboard. I met with a yamaha dealer today who showed me some websites that have instructional videos that will demonstrate the capabilities of my Motiff.

The second session was a songwriting session with Laura Story. We could totally be friends. She was very personable and down to earth. She professes to be a worship leader who happens to have written a few worship songs. I loved her four practical tips:
1) Spend time with God - personal worship is essential to songwriting
2) Spend time in your church - knowing their needs will give birth to new songs
3) Time by yourself (margin) - space in life is critical to being able to hear new melodies and lyrics. If you are too busy, you will not hear from God
4) Time with other writers - it's that whole "where 2 or more are gathered...." idea. Sometimes God completes your inspiration in another person.

Big publishing tip: publishing companies get stacks of demos they never play. Do your songs live any time you can - encourage other people to do your songs live - record and distribute locally - don't wait for a big publishing company to pick up your songs before you let them be sung.

Worship pastors are responsible for stewarding their people's gifts. Find and develop your people's talents. Don't be afraid of being overshadowed. The goal is glorifying God, don't let your pride keep you from building up your people.

For the third and last session, I attended a songwriting session with Matt Redman. I loved him as well. He was funny, humble, and easy to understand. He had some amazing tips as well:
1) Many songs have great inspiration, but could use lots more perspiration. Writing with others can dramatically improve your songs.
2) Be a songwriter 24-7. Always carry a notepad and recorder. God may give you a tiny inspiration that blooms into a beautiful song.
3) Write with others. A song that sucks may still have usable chords, melodies, or lyrics that another writer can help you develop.
4) Be aware of your church's heart and needs. Write the songs that meet them where they are.
5) Keep a list of words or phrases that strike your heart - those moments are from God - research scriptures with those phrases - you may find inspiration.
6)Respond to your environment and life circumstances.
7) What truths is God revealing to you in your personal worship time that you are not singing about? Write to those truths.
8) Be simple - but not stupid
9) Think out of the box - what to do when you get stale and every song sounds the same
a. What are your 10 favorite words in songs - don't use any of those
b. Try another version of the Bible
c. Switch instruments - try the piano, or try the guitar, or use no instrument at all
d. Cowrite with someone new.
e. Usually take your melody down? Go up instead. Find new harmonies, new chords, and new voices.
10) Capture your emotions - or it's just an essay.
11) Be so immersed in God that during times of stress, his words pour from your heart. That is true inspiration

Both Laura Story and Matt Redman totally harped on writing with others, in addition to writing alone. They both said that was the secret to some of their greatest songs. I thought that was interesting. It does make sense that the whole 2 or more thing would apply to songwriting, I just have never looked at it that way. I have often enjoyed writing with friends on the piano bench, but have not thought it critical. Matt said it is a great way to keep from realizing after your song is recorded, "oops, I stole this by accident." Your cowriter can keep that from happening.

My favorite part of the day? Meeting and networking with other musicians. I loved visiting with all the new people. I have mixed and mingled extensively, gathering new perspectives and new ideas. However, my very favorite part of the day was when I had the beautiful opportunity to pray over a new friend. I love that we can be strangers, and yet as believers still be intimately connected.

Up next - worship with Matt Redman, Tenth Avenue North, and One Sonic Society. Today has been one of the most incredible days of my life. I am excited to see what else God has planned.

No comments: