Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wednesday

The morning began with Shannon Wixelberg walking onto the main stage, sitting down at the baby grand, and leading us into God’s presence. I was stunned by the quality of her voice, and her ability to seamlessly weave modern songs into timeless, age old hymns. She closed with a new song (this being the theme of the conference) that she wrote out of Hab. 3:17-19 after her husband was in a massive motorcycle accident. It was one of the most beautiful, hearfelt cries of someone’s soul that I have ever heard.

The first session that I attended was “Piano in Modern Worship” with Brian Steckler. This session was worth every single dime of my registration fee. He broke apart the unusual chord voicings in modern worship music that those of us who are classically trained can’t figure out. Then the part that meshed perfectly with my learning style was when he split screened the worship chart with a live web cam on the piano. Then I could visually follow along with the chord changes in “Everlasting God,” imagining what I might play, and see what he was playing instead. I was so excited to see this broken down in easy to understand, cookies on the bottom shelf kind of terms. I have sat in many workshops that were geared to piano majors and sounded like Greek, but this was absolutely perfect for my skill level. Now I can’t wait to get home and start practicing those new chord voicings and riffs. He also offered to email the powerpoint with the chord charts and live video out to participants, so I can follow along from the keys.

My second session was a songwriting class with Chris Tomlin. This session will have to get its very own blog, but bottom line, it was incredible!

Hearing Louie Giglio speak in the afternoon took on new meaning after hearing Redman and Tomlin talk about their respect for him, and how much he has poured into their lives and mentored them. Giglio talked about maintaining our focus during worship. He said that many of us focus on our performance, or on the people's response, or on our own coolness factor. Instead, we need to lead people in God's presence. The only way this is possible is if we are entirely focused on Jesus. When we stop worrying about all the external factors, and focus on Jesus, it is easier for our people to get into God's presence as well.

Giglio spoke from Col. 1:13- 24 about the power that lives within us because Christ lives within us. We can be assured that we have the power to accomplish kingdom purposes if we remember where our strength comes from. Then he showed us 1 Chr. 15:23 - a passage about doorholders in the tabernacle. We need to be doorholders in worship - holding open the door into God's throne room and showing people the way into God's presence. I loved this image, especially that doorholders are not seeking glory for themselves, but they are simply showing you the way. I mean, when was the last time an usher seating you at a concert tried to get you to notice how amazing they were?

The concert last night was unreal. Jonathan Lee, Laura Story, and Chris Tomlin performed. I had never heard Jonathan Lee, but he was incredible. I loved Laura Story. She was a very approachable worship leader, demonstrating humility and personal conviction on stage. I have been to many Tomlin concerts, but being in a room with worship leaders singing was incredible. I guess heaven will be like that - where everybody sings loud and on key!

One of the best parts of the day, however, was making new friends. It is amazing to hear from worship leaders from all across the United States. It leaves me with a fresh perspective on ministry and on how God is moving. I am greatly encouraged to hear how God is at work. I am looking forward to one last beautiful day.

1 comment:

Jibbooo said...

If you get a copy of the chord voicings ... can you post them to your blog?